Sunday 28 July 2013

SOME LOCAL BIRDING.


On Saturday morning when I saw that by late morning heavy rain would arrive I thought that if I was going out with the camera I'd better go very early.As I hadn't been to Brandon Marsh for a while I headed off there.

I entered to the Steetly hide just before 8.00 AM and was surprised to find it empty.There were no Kingfisher watchers there !!!! I gave it half an hour but saw nothing so I headed off.By this time it was a cracking morning sunny,warm and very still but unfortunately there were no birds around and it wasn't till I was near the Carlton hide that I met up with another birder.It was that Brandon legend and photographer Keith Yates.

Keith and I spent a while at the Newlands screens and although there were plenty of butterflies and dragonflies around there were very few birds.In fact the only shots I took were of a young Goldfinch that was wearing a nice hat.








On the walk back I popped into the Teal Pool hide again.There was an unfortunate Lapwing with a badly injured leg but it seemed to be managing quite well and a lone Green Sandpiper.There was no sign of yesterday's Wood Sandpiper that showed so well.










By midday I'd had enough and headed home.On Sunday morning I headed off to Marsh Lane to see if anything had dropped in after the overnight rain.

There was good news and bad news.The good was that there was a Wood Sandpiper on the railway pool.The bad was that yet again it was a long way off and it soon went out of site.




When I left there was a bit of disturbing news.By the main gate by the cottages there was a chap sitting behind a small desk on a chair.He was doing a survey who was using the old road.This was in connection with the high speed train construction and the use of this area as a construction depot/compound.Oh Dear !!!

2 comments:

boatbirder said...

How many times must I tell you Mr Silverman I'm a birder with a camera lol!!!

Regards

Keith

P.s legend my arse!!!

Max Silverman said...

I've not seen you for ages without your camera Keith.This photographer tag creeps up on you without you realising it !!!!!