Thursday 23 May 2013

THE CHILTERNS FOR RED KITES.

As soon as I heard that the weather would "brighten up by mid morning " there I decided I would make my annual trip to the Chilterns to take some shots of my favourite of the bigger birds of prey Red Kites.

Everyone has their favourite spots in the Chilterns for seeing these majestic birds and I've been to most of them over the years but my favourite spot is the village of Watlington. This is not the most picturesque place you can go to to see them but it is where you are guaranteed to see loads of them often close and at low level.

I arrived in the free village car park at 11.15 AM and as I got out of the car I counted 22 Red Kites with 6 of them quite close.You have no need to leave the car park but I always go for a wander around the village.At the very close pub you can sit in the garden with your drink and watch the Red Kites cruise over your head.Magic !!!

It was not all plain sailing despite the Kites often coming pretty close the weather did not brighten up and it remained dull.Without some brightness behind you lighting up the bird I got loads of silhouette shots despite winding up the exposure compensation settings.Won't moan too much as they fabulous birds just to watch effortlessly cruising around.Here are a few shots I did manage.
















No comments: