Sunday 20 February 2011

Some more local Waxwings.

Having had a couple of disappointing days birding last week and having stayed indoors yesterday I thought I'd nip out early on Sunday morning to try and find the Waxwings reported yesterday at the back of Morrison's supermarket in Shirley.

Got there not long after 8.30AM and found that there was good news and bad news.The good news was that approx. 40 of the beauties flew high into a tree just as I parked up in a cul-de-sac at the back of the store.The bad news was that it was very gloomy and there was drizzle in the air.

I've been lucky enough to catch up with Waxwings several times but always when the weather was dull.So it was this morning so no chance of getting a decent shot but as always great to see them.They stayed for about 20 minutes before flying off.They did threaten to return a couple of times but never landed.

In December when I was taking shots of them in a cul-de-sac in Dorridge I was nearly arrested when a local resident thought I was checking the place out for some illegal purposes but today a couple were only too pleased to let me take shots from their driveway and even invited me to have a cup of tea.You never know how you will be received if you are carrying a camera.

Here are a few shots taken in very poor light.



2 comments:

Kevin Groocock said...

Better shots than mine in Coventry today! 70+ birds but terrible light. Deleted the lot - not even worth putting them through photoshop! Giving up until the sun shines!

Max Silverman said...

Kevin I certainly need the sunshine to get a decent shot of anything.My shots were on the verge of being throwaways.I bet when the sun comes out there will be no Waxwings locally.