Friday 25 February 2011

Off to meet Mr. and Mrs. Scaup.

As soon as I saw the forecast was for sunny weather I raced off to Draycote Water on Thursday morning aiming to see the Scaups and a Brambling which I needed for my year Warwickshire ticks list.

Got there a little after 10.00AM just as it was brightening up.Headed for the Outlet and soon found both Scaups off the Hensborough Bank but they were a bit far out and both asleep.These two are always asleep so I think they must go out every night partying and need to sleep it off during the day.Here is a shot of how they look most of the time.



Luckily for me Francoise turned up and she is well known for luring them closer in.She is not known as the Scaup Lady for nothing.Here are a few of my better shots.






I then walked to the inlet and had some more luck when I found Richard Mays and Bob Hazell there with their scopes on the Finch flock at the back of the field below Draycote Bank.They put me onto some Bramblings so another year tick!!!

It was then that we spotted the local hunt another field further back heading our way.Here is a shot of some of them having lost touch with the dog pack as they trotted right over the spot where the Finch flock feeds.




Here is a shot of the dog pack as it burst out of the small coppice below the inlet and headed along the Draycote Bank to Rainbow corner.They probably wanted to see the Scaups.




Here is a shot of the hunt leader complete with horn looking for the dogs and exchanging pleasantries with Richard.





Did see Peacock and Brimstone butterflies today.I've no idea if this is early or not.

No comments: