Wednesday 8 December 2010

The Waxwings are back.

Having said in my last post that I thought that the local Waxwings have flown away to new pastures blow me down if they didn't make an appearance this afternoon.

Still afraid to go out in the bitter cold weather and do some real birding I again checked out the local area in the car.

I'd been parked up near one of the many berry trees in the area for about 10 minutes and was refusing to take any more Fieldfare and Redwing shots that were on the tree when all of a sudden from absolutely nowhere 20 Waxwings suddenly landed on the tree.

Taken completely by surprise (not for the first time) I went into panic mode as I turned the camera on and tried to point the camera through a closed window.By the time I got everything ready to get some shots the Waxwings were fluttering around everywhere and even my shouting "Keep still you *******" failed to have an effect.

They then flew off only to return 10 minutes later but only stayed for 20 seconds before disappearing for good.So the good news is that there is a flock of Waxwings in the Bentley Heath/Dorridge area but the bad news is they've got plenty of berry trees to go on.

Didn't do too well with the pics but that was my fault.





2 comments:

Kevin Groocock said...

Glad you're getting them nearby, Max - Not seen any in Warwickshire yet! Absolutely super birds - I really want to get some good images.

Max Silverman said...

Kevin you have done damn well so far.In fact someone at BM yesterday asked if I'd seen your Waxwing shots.