Friday 10 December 2010

Chasing the Short Eared Owl.

Thursday morning I decided I must brave the bitter cold conditions and go out birding.I decided I must try and see the SEO that has been showing at Brandon Marsh so I set off there mid morning.

I was wearing so many layers to keep out the cold that I had great trouble getting through the reception doors to sign in for the day.

As expected all the ponds were frozen and some of the pathways were a bit treacherous but this didn't concern me as I planned to spend all the time between the sheep field and the Newlands as this is were the SEO is seen.

It had been seen earlier in the day near the bridge but in a stay of over 3 hours I and several other birders did not see it.Got cold for nothing.Bugger!!!

My only consolation was that I did catch up with some Siskins for the first time this year.




I found out later that over 50 Waxwings were showing that morning in Dorridge which is just down the road for me.I'm not complaining as I've had loads of sightings already this year locally but that's a good number in an area that as far as I know has had no sightings for many years.

3 comments:

Kevin Groocock said...

Lovely birds, Siskins - glad you got the opportunity and bad luck with the SEO (I've not seen it either!). I invested in some lined trousers in the "January" sales and they have paid dividends. If it is very cold, I wear my pyjamas underneath (should really invest in some good thermals!).

Max Silverman said...

I'm waiting for a heated birding suit to come out.

Kevin Groocock said...

Speak to the space agency!