Monday 21 June 2010

A Trip into Derbyshire.

As the weather looked good on Monday morning and as I was still flushed with the success of getting shots of the Bluethroat last week in Norfolk I thought I'd have a go for the Great Reed Warbler that's been in a NR in Ilkeston in Derbyshire .

Although I'd had very brief glimpses of one a couple of years ago at Cley I'd not got any shots so, if it was still there,it was pics I was after.

Set off at 9.30AM armed with maps of the route and got there at 10.30AM despite getting lost again.I think the maps I am using were drawn up at the same time Shakespeare was writing Hamlet.They are that out of date!!!!

Was it still there???? Yes because I heard it as soon as I walked under the bridge and I'd still 100 metres to go.What a song it is.It's worth going for that alone.

So how did I do getting shots.In the morning the bird remained deep in it's favourite reed bed singing it's heart out only showing for a split second in the open a couple of times.The two other photographers gave up and I was left on my own so I decided to head back to the car and have some lunch having not taken one shot.

After lunch I had the place to myself and luckily the bird showed much better and I managed to get a few shots although the reeds in front of me caused a lot of trouble there was always one in the way.I need to be taller or take some stilts with me next time.

A cracking bird with a fabulous song.I'm very glad it waited for me.






2 comments:

Kevin Groocock said...

Glad you caught up with this super bird, Max. I have thought about going back, but after today, have given up "twitching"!

Max Silverman said...

Cheers Kevin your shots inspired me to go for it but I was lucky it waited for me as I'd left it a bit long.