Wednesday 23 December 2009

Out again in the bitterly cold weather.

I must be a glutton for punishment because I ventured out again in this bitterly cold weather.I went to Brandon Marsh knowing that the ponds would probably be frozen over but I secretly hoped this would force one of the Bitterns onto the ice.

The ponds were frozen over when I walked round and of course the Bitterns did not venture out onto the ice at least not while I was there.It was so cold that,when I tried to eat a Snickers bar in the Carlton hide,it had frozen and turned into concrete. I nearly broke a tooth.

As expected I saw nothing at all on the walk round but did manage a Bullfinch near the car park.






Although the light was by now failing I thought on the way home I'd have a quick look down the old road at Marsh Lane.It was very lively again with at least 50 Yellowhammers in the roadside trees and bushes plus some Reed Buntings,Redwings and Fieldfare etc.Not good for pics as it was a bit gloomy by now but I think I got a shot of a female Brambling (see below ? is it a Brambling.I hope so because it would be the first I've seen this year).





1 comment:

Kevin Groocock said...

Hi Max, I nearly went to Brandon today but Draycote won! Super Bullfinch. Nice female Brambling as well - nice year tick for you.