Thursday 20 August 2009

A trip into Worcestershire.









The birds that have been recently seen at Upton Warren together with some great pictures persuaded me to pay another visit there.It would be my first visit for some time the last one was in the Winter when I nearly froze to death getting shots of some Waxwings.

Went to the Moors pools first and in a 2 hour stay,although I met some very friendly locals,I never saw anything worth pointing the camera at.A very nice place where I suspect you have to put the hours in before you see anything of note ( a bit like everywhere else in the Midlands then).

Just before lunch I went to the Flashes and headed to the furthest hide where I met another friendly local who depressed me a little when he said "All the good stuff left last night".I had a pleasant stay for and hour and managed to spot 6+ Curlews,a lone Common Snipe,10+ Green Sandpipers,a lone Dunlin and 3 Common Sandpipers.

On the way home I called in at the Arden falconry where during the afternoon they took out a Kestrel and a Harris Hawk for flights.Best of all they let me into their office/storage building where they had 3 juvenile Barn Owls which were an absolute delight.Annoyingly it was very gloomy in there and I couldn't get far enough back to get any decent shots with my 400 lens.This was particularly galling as the eldest one was happy to pose on the top of the office couch.

No comments: